Available from DC BooksList of Titles
Short Stories by Robert Edison Sandiford
The Tree of Youth
To order right away using your credit card, click below on Buy Now.
For other payment methods, complete order form below...
(Save up to 35%)
Many Payment Options!
Option 1 – Right away, on the web, to a secure site
1. Press the BUY NOW button above.
2. This connects you with 2CheckOut.com, our fully secure credit card agent, where you can charge your account in your choice of currency.
3.Please note that 2CO is a US-based organization, and recalculates the US$ list price into your currency. Fluctuating exchange rates can sometimes cause the final price to be slightly higher or lower, on the date of conversion to any currency other than US$.
Option 2 – On-Line Bookstores
1. Just fill out the fields below, and press SUBMIT.
2. You'll get a prompt acknowledgement of your order, confirming your total price.
3. Then print this page, and enclose your check or money order.
4. Mail to: DC Books, 5 Fenwick Avenue, Montreal West, QC, H4X 1P3 Canada
5. Made an error on SUBMIT? No problem. Just fill out the form again with the correct information, press the CORRECTION button below, then press SUBMIT again.
The Tree of Youth
The thirteen stories in The Tree of Youth have a richly exotic, sensuous allure: the landscape shifts from cosmopolitan Canada to beautiful Barbados. They also explore, with understated brilliance, the elation and defeat men and women everywhere experience when they yearn for love and a better life. Here is an unblinking vision of the sexual exploits of Bajans, young and old, one that restores the redeeming values of children, family, and art.
“Robert Edison Sandiford is a natty, dread philosophe, one whose eyes pierce the soul and whose ears hear the heartbeats of the human condition.Born and raised a Montréalais Bajan Canuck, he combines urbane sophistication and deadpan wit to produce miraculous – soulful – realism.With the panache of Austin Clarke and the passion of a calypsonian, Sandiford articulates truths that become more truthful because they flow from his indignant and indelible intelligence.”
– George Elliott Clarke, Poet and professor of English Literature at the University of Toronto
“Thirteen intriguing short stories form the collection revealing Sandiford’s keen ability to unearth fascinating peculiarities in his characters and what may be seen as ‘ordinary lives.’”
– Groove, March 2006
“Many of the thirteen stories deal primarily with relationships, especially between men and women. Sometimes romantic, sometimes entirely sexual, the relationships read as heartbreakingly real.... It is Sandiford’s ability to slip the reader seamlessly into the psyche of each character that is really a strength.”
– Barbados Advocate, April 2006
– Mark McWatt, author of Suspended Sentences: Fictions of Atonement
– Carl James, author of Race in Play: Understanding the Socio-cultural Worlds of Student Athletes
Author Robert Sandiford
Robert Edison Sandiford is the author of Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall: Stories; two graphic story collections, Attractive Forces and Stray Moonbeams,and the memoir Sand for Snow: A Caribbean-Canadian Chronicle. He is a founding editor of ArtsEtc: The Premier Cultural Guide to Barbados, and has worked as a book publisher and video producer. ‘Reckoning,’ which appears in The Tree of Youth, won Barbados’ Governor General’s Award for Literary Excellence in 2003.
The Tree of Youth and Other Stories,Robert Edison Sandiford, 136 pp., 5.5 x 8.5, Short Stories, November 2005
ISBN 13: 978-1-897190-04-3 (paper). . .$18.95
ISBN 13: 978-1-897190-05-0 (Bound) . . . $28.95
* This book is “perfect bound” with an add-on hand bound cover, no dust jacket.
List prices above do NOT include applicable taxes, shipping, and handling charges. Offer prices on the left DO!
Also by the Author
Sand for Snow: A Caribbean-Canadian Chronicle, Robert Edison Sandiford, 188 pp., 5 x 8, December 2003, Memoir ISBN: 0-919688-79-9 (paper) ... $15.95 ISBN: 0-919688-81-0 (Hard Cover) ... $26.95
And Sometimes They Fly, Robert Edison Sandiford, 195 pp., 5.5 x 8.5, April 2013, Novel ISBN: 978-1-897190-94-4 (paper) ... $21.95 ISBN: 978-1-927599-29-7 (Hard Cover) ... $32.95